A single of the most commonly questioned queries we get is: what is foam insulation? There are a lot of distinct sorts of insulation, and whilst foam may well however be a rather new approach of insulating your home, it is unquestionably gaining popularity. In this article, we will be discussing what you have to have to know about foam insulation from its pros to its downsides, the place it should be used and extra.
What is Insulation?
Insulation is a creating product utilized to maintain heat (and also seem) in or out of your residence. Insulation can work in a great deal of unique approaches, but it most typically makes use of materials that consist of millions of tiny pockets of air. This is due to the fact still air is an great insulator, and trapped pockets of air are what provide most sorts of insulation and their substantial thermal resistance. At the end of the working day, insulation can help preserve your home relaxed, lowers your electrical power bills and helps cut down your carbon footprint.
What is Foam Insulation?
Foam insulation is also identified as spray foam insulation, and as we described it is a comparatively new system of insulating your residence. Foam insulation functions most effective for challenges like air leaks around windows, doorways and foundations. Just about all spray foam insulation is created from polyurethane foam. Interesting simple fact: polyurethane foam is the same materials that goes into smooth merchandise like couches and memory foam mattresses.
When thoroughly utilized, spray foam insulation offers superb thermal insulation as it has an incredibly high R-value, which is the measurement of how nicely insulation is effective. Polyurethane foam is sprayed on to the influenced area and then expands. When it expands, it sorts an airtight seal and in some conditions, this seal can also be humidity-restricted.
Spray foam can be employed to insulate a new household, or added to an present one. It is primarily effective for small crevices and cracks alongside the perimeter of your residence. Believe about it like this: spray foam insulation seals your house in a way that makes it impenetrable from the outdoors features.
The place is the Most effective Area to Use Spray Foam Insulation?
Spray foam insulation will work ideal in spots like your partitions, roof, attic and other foundations. It is in particular fantastic for sealing modest cracks and crevices. When thoroughly used, spray foam must previous the life span of your residence.
The Various Kinds of Foam Insulation
Spray foams are divided into two major categories:
- Shut cell: Closed mobile is a denser and far more highly-priced form of foam insulation, with a 6 to 7 for every inch R-value and is moisture restricted.
- Open cell: Open up mobile insulation is fewer dense, with a 4 for each inch R-price.
Foam insulation arrives in a couple kinds:
- Aerosol cans with one-part formulas. This form of insulation is excellent for Diy employment like insulating your doorways.
- Low force sprayers with two-aspect formulas. This insulation is excellent for smaller work.
- Two-element kits that have to have to be used with substantial-force sprayers: Best for bigger positions.
Which Spray Foam Insulation Need to You Decide on?
Both equally open and shut-mobile spray foam insulation is powerful, yet most dwelling advancement contractors decide for shut-cell foam insulation owing to its higher R-value and humidity-stopping qualities. While shut-mobile foam does occur at a high quality value upfront, you will recoup your financial commitment about time through decrease electrical power expenses.
The Execs of Spray Foam Insulation
- Energy efficient: Foam expands in a natural way soon after making use of it, so it seals off the crevices fiberglass insulation are unable to achieve. This tends to make it a single of the most vitality-productive varieties of insulation.
- Resilient: Spray foam can last a life time if properly installed.
- Barrier to pests and mould: Spray foam insulation assists retain pests and mould at bay.
The Disadvantages of Foam Insulation
- Pricier: Because it is very electrical power effective and long lasting, it is 1 of the additional costly insulation choices.
- Hard to apply. Until you are working with an aerosol can for a smaller occupation, this is a job best still left to professionals.
Speak with the WoW Insulation Crew Nowadays!
Completely ready to tackle your following house improvement task in time for Autumn? Now is the fantastic time to get your house adequately insulated in advance of the cooler months get there. Get in touch with the WoW crew for an obligation-totally free quotation these days.