Concrete driveways stand as durable additions to homes, lasting up to 50 years while providing both aesthetic appeal and functional value. However, wear and tear from daily use or environmental changes may necessitate concrete driveway repairs. Understanding the problems and solutions is crucial for maintaining the longevity of your driveway.
1. Concrete Driveway Problems & Solutions
– Small Cracks:
- Address small cracks promptly with simple tools and crack compounds available at hardware stores.
- Follow product instructions meticulously to prevent further deterioration.
- Small repairs can slow down the progression of cracks.
– Wide and Uneven Cracks:
- Wide and uneven cracks may indicate structural issues and pose potential dangers.
- Consult a professional before considering resurfacing or replacement.
- Seek expert advice if cracks appear outside expansion joints or saw-cuts.
– Normal Cracking:
- Understand that some cracking is normal over time.
- Faulty foundation or installation can contribute to larger cracks.
- Contact your contractor if you notice substantial cracks.
B. Sunken Concrete
- Sunken concrete may result from a poor mixture during preparation or excessive pressure from heavy vehicles.
- Not all concrete driveways can withstand the weight of non-commercial cars.
- Concrete contractors can fix sunken concrete by drilling small holes in the surface and pouring a mixture to restore the level.
- In areas with freezing temperatures causing uneven surfaces, known as frost heave, concrete driveway replacement is recommended.
2. Maintenance Tips
A. Regular Cleaning
- Over time, various factors can impact the appearance of your driveway.
- Regular cleaning reduces the need for repairs, extends lifespan, and preserves aesthetic appeal.
- Concrete contractors recommend power washing at the right pressure for effective cleaning.
By understanding common problems and implementing proper maintenance, you can ensure your concrete driveway remains a durable and attractive feature of your home. Addressing issues promptly and seeking professional advice when needed will contribute to the long-term health of your driveway.
This post was written by a professional at Cesar’s Concrete. Cesar’s Concrete was created after our owner saw the need for a new breed of concrete contractor in the industry – one who operates with strong moral principles and knows the ins and outs of the business; ensuring customers a beautiful, lasting project. We specialize in all types of concrete repair and installation, including Residential Driveway in Milliken, CO, patios, sidewalks, walkways, and much more!